Storage and Shipping go hand-in-hand when it comes to relocating afar.
Are you planning on moving overseas? And if you are moving from the UK, are you relocating across the channel, or across oceans?
Moving overseas is an adventurous opportunity that will undoubtedly change your life. While there’s so much to be excited about, you’re probably stressed about the moving process.
One of the most important steps in your international move is moving your household goods. By learning about the shipping processes and hiring a trustworthy moving company, you can tackle this obstacle and focus on the new opportunities that await you.
The need for temporary storage while relocating
Sometimes people need storage facilities when they are relocating overseas and need to use storage and shipping as a combined service.
Relocating overseas can be an exciting opportunity, but it can also be a challenging experience. Moving to a new country requires careful planning, organisation, and coordination. One of the biggest challenges faced by people relocating overseas is how to transport their household goods to their new destination. This is where storage facilities can play a crucial role.
What are some of the reasons why storage facilities are needed during a move?
Storage facilities offer a convenient solution for people who need to store their household goods temporarily before shipping them overseas. There are several reasons why people need storage facilities when they are relocating overseas and use storage and shipping as a combined service.
- Downsizing: When moving overseas, many people need to downsize their homes and get rid of unwanted items. However, some items may be too valuable or sentimental to part with, but not practical to take along. A storage facility provides a secure and convenient place to store these items until they are needed again.
- Timing: International shipping can take several weeks or even months, and there may be a gap between when you need to vacate your current home and when your new home is ready to receive your household goods. Our secure Storage facilities offer flexible storage options, allowing you to store your goods for as long as necessary until you are ready to receive them.
- Convenience: When you are relocating overseas, there are many details to attend to, from visas to moving pets, from choosing a new school to finding a new home. A combined storage and shipping service can simplify the process and remove some of the stress of the move. You can rely on Shires as your single provider for all your storage and shipping needs, reducing the risk of miscommunication or confusion.
- Security: A reputable storage facility will provide secure storage for your household goods, protecting them from damage, theft, and other risks. A combined storage and shipping service offers an added layer of security, with the same provider responsible for the entire process from start to finish.
- Cost-effective: Using a combined storage and shipping service can be more cost-effective than using separate providers for each service.
Questions to ask yourself when relocating and moving overseas
Before you start the moving process, you need to evaluate your needs first.
Is This Temporary or Permanent?
Sometimes, if your reason for moving overseas does not have a specific time length, then it may be difficult to know whether or not it’s a temporary or permanent move. Some may initially plan for a temporary move, but end up extending their visas and eventually becoming a citizen.
If you’re planning on this being a temporary move, you might want to consider renting furnished housing to avoid unnecessarily moving your furniture back and forth. And then let us know when you need it to be shipped to you once you are ready and settled.
How Much Stuff Are You Bringing, especially if it’s permanent?
Typically when you move, you’ll want to bring most of your belongings with you so that way you’re not missing something later on. However, when you’re moving overseas, you’ll want to limit what you’re moving to save on money, space, and even hassle from customs.
What Are the Customs Policies to Where You’re Going?
Many people aren’t familiar with the customs policies in the country that they’re moving to, and end up losing stuff that they could have left behind. Before you start packing, be sure to look up the customs policy for your soon-to-be home so you can avoid any surprises later on.
Shipping – transporting via sea freight
We have an active door-to-door service between the UK and Europe where your goods are packed in our van, and stay in our van for the duration of the journey.
For longer ocean-crossing destinations, shipping is the most common method of transporting your belongings overseas. While this method takes longer than by plane, it is significantly cheaper and can carry heavier loads.
Handling Customs Paperwork
One of the most stressful parts of moving abroad for anyone is dealing with customs. Every country has its own laws on what you can and can’t bring with you when crossing their border, so you’ll need to do your research.
When you move, you’ll need to have a thorough list of everything that you’re bringing with you. The shipping containers with your contents will go through checks to confirm everything is legal.
Many countries’ customs will charge you tax and duty fees when your possessions arrive. Some moving companies will take care of these fees and handle the paperwork so you don’t have to worry about it. Speak to our Shires team about your move, and which country you are relocating to, and we can guide you through the customs paperwork for a smoother moving experience.
Storage and Shipping – essential parts of your relocation process and moving long distance
In conclusion, when relocating overseas and needing to use storage and shipping as a combined service, a storage facility can be an essential component of the relocation process. It provides a convenient, secure, and cost-effective solution for storing your household goods before shipping them overseas. By choosing a reliable and experienced storage and shipping provider, you can enjoy a smooth and stress-free relocation experience.
You are not alone in your new move!
We guide and plan with you every step of the way when it comes to transporting your treasured items.
And while things certainly will be different and new, there are local expat groups, internet forums, friends and colleagues who can all be an excellent source of advice to help you get settled in your new life abroad.
Home Moves. Office Moves. Business Moves.
We provide Local, National and International Removals, Packing, and Storage services to Domestic and Commercial customers.
You find a place, and we’ll take you there!