When it comes to moving house or transporting large items, hiring a moving van is often the most practical and cost-effective solution. But how much does it actually cost to rent a moving van in the UK? In this article, we’ll explore the factors that can affect the price of hiring a moving van and provide you with a general idea of the costs involved.
Factors that can affect the cost of hiring a moving van
The cost of hiring a moving van can vary depending on a number of factors. These factors include:
- The size of the van: Larger vans generally cost more to rent than smaller vans.
- The duration of the rental: The longer you need the van for, the higher the cost is likely to be.
- The distance of the move: If you’re moving a long distance, you may be charged additional fees for mileage.
- The time of year: Moving van rental prices can fluctuate depending on the time of year, with peak moving seasons often being more expensive.
- Additional services: If you require additional services such as packing or storage, these will incur extra costs.
General costs of hiring a moving van in the UK
While the cost of hiring a moving van can vary depending on the factors mentioned above, here are some general price ranges you can expect:
- A small van (such as a Ford Transit Connect) can cost anywhere between £40 to £80 per day.
- A medium-sized van (such as a Ford Transit) can cost between £70 to £120 per day.
- A large van (such as a Mercedes Sprinter) can cost between £100 to £150 per day.
It’s worth noting that these prices are just estimates and can vary depending on your location and the rental company you choose.
Additional costs to consider
When budgeting for your moving van rental, it’s important to consider any additional costs that may arise. These costs can include:
- Insurance: Most rental companies offer insurance options, which can provide peace of mind but will come at an additional cost.
- Fuel: You’ll need to factor in the cost of fuel for your journey, as this is not typically included in the rental price.
- Deposit: Some rental companies may require a deposit upfront, which will be refunded once the van is returned in good condition.
How to find the best deal on a moving van rental
Now that you have an idea of the costs involved in hiring a moving van in the UK, you may be wondering how to find the best deal. Here are some tips to help you save money:
- Compare prices: Shop around and compare prices from different rental companies to ensure you’re getting the best deal.
- Book in advance: Booking your moving van rental in advance can often lead to lower prices.
- Consider off-peak times: If possible, schedule your move for a less busy time of year or day to potentially save on costs.
- Ask about any discounts: Some rental companies offer discounts for certain groups, such as students or military personnel.
The cost of hiring a moving van in the UK can vary depending on factors such as the size of the van, duration of the rental, distance of the move, and additional services required. While there are general price ranges, it’s important to shop around, compare prices, and consider any additional costs before making a decision. By doing so, you can find the best deal and ensure a smooth and cost-effective move.