Planning a move can be an exciting but also a stressful time. There are many factors to consider, such as finding the right moving company, packing up your belongings, and settling into your new home. One important aspect of moving that often gets overlooked is the cost.
Did you know that the month you choose to move can greatly impact how much you spend? In the United States, there are certain months that tend to be more expensive for moving than others. Understanding these trends can help you plan your move more efficiently and potentially save money.
Factors that influence moving costs
Before we dive into the most expensive month to move, let’s first explore the factors that can influence moving costs:
- Peak moving season: The summer months, particularly June, July, and August, are considered the peak moving season. Many people prefer to move during this time due to favorable weather conditions and school breaks.
- Weekday vs. weekend: Moving on a weekday is generally cheaper than moving on a weekend. If you have the flexibility to choose your moving day, opt for a weekday to potentially save money.
- Distance: The distance of your move can also impact the cost. Long-distance moves are typically more expensive than local moves.
- Additional services: If you require additional services such as packing, storage, or specialty item transportation, these can add to the overall cost of your move.
The most expensive month to move
Based on industry trends and data, the most expensive month to move in the United States is typically July. This is due to the combination of factors mentioned earlier:
- July falls within the peak moving season, which means higher demand for moving services and potentially higher prices.
- Many families with children prefer to move during the summer months to minimize disruption to their children’s schooling.
- July is a popular time for leases to end and new ones to begin, resulting in increased competition for moving services.
While July may be the most expensive month to move, it’s important to note that prices can vary depending on your specific location and circumstances. It’s always a good idea to obtain multiple quotes from different moving companies to compare prices and find the best deal.
How to save money on your move
Now that you know the most expensive month to move, here are some tips to help you save money on your move:
- Plan ahead: Give yourself plenty of time to research and book a moving company. Last-minute bookings often come with higher prices.
- Be flexible with your moving date: If possible, consider moving during the off-peak season or on a weekday to take advantage of lower prices.
- Declutter: Before you start packing, go through your belongings and get rid of items you no longer need. This will not only reduce the amount of stuff you have to move but also potentially save you money on packing supplies and transportation.
- Compare quotes: Obtain quotes from multiple moving companies and compare their prices and services. Don’t forget to check reviews and ask for recommendations from friends and family.
Choosing the right month to move can have a significant impact on your moving costs. July tends to be the most expensive month due to various factors, but prices can vary depending on your location and circumstances. By planning ahead, being flexible with your moving date, and decluttering before your move, you can potentially save money on your move.
Remember, moving is not just about the physical aspect of transporting your belongings from one place to another. It’s also about managing your budget and finding ways to make the process more affordable. With these tips in mind, you can have a successful and cost-effective move.