Moving to a new home can be both exciting and challenging. To ensure a smooth transition, staying organised and planning is essential. At Shires Removals Group, we understand the intricacies of domestic moves, and we’re here to help you with a comprehensive moving checklist. Whether you’re moving locally or long-distance, this guide will walk you through the essential steps to make your move successful.
Domestic Moving Checklist: Your Comprehensive Guide to a Smooth Move
Start Early: Months Before Moving
- Create a Moving Date: Determine your move-in date and your target for completing various tasks.
- Notify Friends and Family: Inform your friends and family about your upcoming move and share your new address.
- Contact Utility Suppliers: Notify your current utility suppliers (gas, electricity, water, internet, etc.) of your move and arrange for disconnection or transfer of services.
- Gather Packing Supplies: Begin collecting packing boxes, bubble wrap, packing paper, tape, and other packing materials.
Two Months Before Moving
- Arrange for Removals Company: Research and hire a reputable removals company. Get quotes and book your preferred date.
- Collect Important Documents: Gather important documents such as passports, birth certificates, and medical records in a secure folder.
- Notify Schools and Healthcare Providers: If you have children, inform their schools of the move. Also, notify your healthcare providers and transfer medical records if necessary.
- Declutter and Donate: Go through your belongings and donate or sell unwanted items.
Six Weeks Before Moving
- Inform Utility Companies: Contact your new utility suppliers to set up services at your new home.
- Notify the Post Office: Inform the Royal Mail of your new address and consider using their mail redirection service.
- Plan the Big Day: Create a detailed plan for moving day, including a schedule and responsibilities.
Four Weeks Before Moving
- Start Packing: Begin packing non-essential items, starting with items in storage areas.
- Meter Readings: Take final meter readings for gas and electricity meters at your old home.
- Notify Institutions: Inform banks, credit card companies, and other institutions of your change of address.
- Change Address for Subscriptions: Update your address with magazine subscriptions, streaming services, and other subscriptions.
Three Weeks Before Moving
- Arrange Childcare or Pet Care: If you have young children or pets, arrange for their care on a moving day.
- Finalize Packing: Continue packing and labelling boxes with their contents and the room they belong to.
- Dispose of Hazardous Materials: Safely dispose of hazardous materials or items that cannot be transported.
Two Weeks Before Moving
- Set Up a Moving Day Survival Kit: Pack a box with essential items you’ll need on moving day, such as toiletries, clothes, and documents.
- Final Meter Reading: Take the last meter readings for gas and electricity meters at your new home.
- Confirm Details with Removals Company: Reconfirm your moving details, including the date, time, and any specific instructions, with the removals company.
One Week Before Moving
- Empty Freezers and Fridges: Use perishable food items, and open and defrost your freezer and fridge.
- Dismantle Furniture: If necessary, dismantle furniture and keep screws and hardware in labelled bags.
- Pack a First-Night Box: Pack a box with essential items you’ll need on your first night in your new home, such as bedding, pyjamas, and kitchen essentials.
- Confirm Details: Confirm details with friends or family assisting with the move.
- Moving Day Checklist: Use your moving day checklist to ensure everything is packed and ready for the removal company.
- Utility Shut-off: Ensure all utilities are shut off at your old home and activated at your new home.
- Final Walkthrough: Do a final walkthrough of your old home to check for overlooked items.
- Collect Important Documents: Keep your essential documents and valuable items with you during the move.
- Say Goodbye: Bid farewell to your old home and leave any necessary keys and information for the new occupants.
After the Move
- Unpack Essentials: Begin unpacking your essentials and set up your first-night box.
- Connect Utilities: Confirm that all utilities function correctly in your new home.
- Update Address: Notify government agencies, financial institutions, and other relevant organizations of your change of address.
- Dispose of Packing Materials: Dispose of packing materials responsibly or consider recycling or reusing them.
- Explore Your New Area: Get to know your new neighbourhood and explore local amenities and services.
Moving house is a significant life event; careful planning is essential to ensure a smooth and stress-free transition. This domestic moving checklist, provided by Shires Removals Group, is a comprehensive guide to help you organize your move effectively. Following these steps and staying organized, you can look forward to settling into your new home quickly and confidently. Welcome to your new chapter!